Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

Ford Edge door ajar issue. Have the first door

Customer Question

***** *****, Ford Edge door ajar issue. Have the first door panel off trying to get to door latch
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Door ajar light stays on, interior light does not turn off until at speed, alarm goes off periodically if doors locked, touch door unnlock intermittent
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am ready to go.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
greetings, ford was replacing the door latch assembly on many of these at first(driver door) under warranty. the door ajar switch is part of the assembly. they have a fix for it now.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
They have a electronic device that attaches to the latch and activates it with high current to clean it out.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I am looking for the bulletin now. I replaced a few before the bulletin came out, not a fun job getting the latch out.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
what year is the edge?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2011 Ford Edge Sport
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you have the bulletin #?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
sorry, friend stopped by. needed help with his van.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
SSM 44607
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I am having issues with the ford site. it is a special service message. this is for the techs only. TSB's get released to the public.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I recommend letting the dealership do the fix.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
they will pull off the door panel and get behind the inner panel that holds the window mechanism(worst part to remove) and then disconnect the electrical plug and attach the device. It locks and unlocks the latch assembly and cleans the ajar switch contacts.