Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1993 ford ranger 2.3L , I replaced and gaped all 8 spark plugs,

Customer Question

1993 ford ranger 2.3L , I replaced and gaped all 8 spark plugs, changed the coil pack, changed the fuel regulator, changed the plug wires and it will crank and almost start but won't quit start, also changed the starter, it push starts in 2nd gear but won't start from the starter
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with electrical systems. How does the engine sound? For example -- does it have a rough idle, or does it sound normal?
Customer: It is burning some oil on number 2 cylinder but when running it runs fine
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to guys for all things electrical systems and spark plugs.
Customer: also it has good fuel pressure, the fuel pump is working fine too
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced plugs, wires , coil pack fuel regulator, starter
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist what is the actual fuel pressure??? this is critical to starting?? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don t have a gage to measure, it is alot, the pump runs good in the tank and it spits alot out when I bleed it from the bleeder on the fuel rail. Is there a sencer somewhere that can be making it so hard to start? I can crank on it for 2 mins. And sometimes it will finnaly start, but not today. I also am in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, so it is warm here not cold.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I sprayed brake cleaner through the pcv valve and it seems to be free and clean.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
you need a gauge to check it. you can rent one at a parts store. you need 35-45 lbs pressure. try spraying some carb cleaner into the air filter and see if it starts and stalls. if it does then it is fuel delivery. if it does not, then we move on to other checks. one thing at a time roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also replaced all 4 injectors, that was fun. When I did I turned on key and checked fuel flow before putting them into the intake.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They all misted nicely like they should.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, and the fuel pressure??? spray to test????
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Roy, I tryed spraying carb cleaner in intake and then turning it over and got not response.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is after putting in a new starter, I burnered up the other one.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, check for spark at the plugs. both sides. I assume this is the model with 8 plugs??? also, did you check compression to see if timing belt is ok?? Roy