Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My name is***** bought a 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 2.9L

Customer Question

My name is***** bought a 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 2.9L EFI engine with the AC compressor removed. I have a no start situation with good spark to all six plugs, fuel pressure at the rail 33 to 37 psi. The motor is a motor I pulled out of my running 1987 Bronco II. There are two blue wires im not exactly sure of their function heading down passed the elect4ric fuel pump on the frame. I think ive got them going to a neutral safety switch at the top of my transmission which came from the same Bronco II (just to driver side of gear shift. I believe theres also one on the transfer case which is from the 87 Ranger. New TFI so yes the distributor was removed. cranks nicely, some sputter but no running. any ideas ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The switch which I believe is the clutch triple function switch has one connector going to it but looks like there should be two. wont crank unless clutch pedel is depressed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist the fuel pressure is low. it should be 35-45 key on engine off. I would start there to get the fuel pressure to where it should be. did you try spraying some carb cleaner into the intake to see if it would start and stall??? Roy
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
how are you making out