tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years
14541291

I have a 2005 Ford Escape. The left rear axle seal is leaking.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Escape. The left rear axle seal is leaking. I have disconnected the upper and lower control arms and the shock absorber. According to the Haynes Repair manual, the coil spring and the axle shaft should both come out at this point. They are both loose, but there isn't enough room for either to be removed. What am I missing?
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just what I said.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Not at this point.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.
is the seal leaking at the differential?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
oklets try this\PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaid83bvm90cgq2/0418-escape-Halfshaft.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/aaid83bvm90cgq2/0418-escape-Halfshaft.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
page 2, steps 4,5 & 6. The differential has to be removed from the vehicle?
no..you just pop out the axle with the removal tool or pry it out with equivalent tool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the shaft is already loose on both ends but there isn't enough room to get it out.
you should have enough room..
if not,,do drop the differential,,its just a few bolts,,let it drop down to where you can remove it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should the trailing arm be disconnected at the front?
just take out thse four bolts and let it move around enough to give you room,
though you should be able to get it out without doing that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the knuckle supposed to swing out enough to allow the shaft to come out?
yes,,if you have the ball joint loose,,you should be able to pull it out of the way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both the upper and lower ball joints and the shock disconnected from the knuckle. It appears that the part of the shaft that goes through the hub is close to 6 inches long. The knuckle won't swing out far enough for the end of the shaft to clear on that end. How far does the shaft extend into the diff?
i would think around 6" +/-
exactly what is holding you up?what is in the way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have that much clearance. What is wrong?
the easy fix is ,,what ever is in the way,,,remove it
again,,you should have enough room by just folloring the directions i gave you,,but,if not,,remove what it takes to give you the room you need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't any one thing in the way. The knuckle just doesn't swing out that far. Does the bolt at the front end of the trailing arm have something to do with alignment?
yes,,it has cam bolts/nuts
if you must remove them,,mark them and put it back in the same spot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 10:06 PM here and I am going to bed. I will try again tomorrow if I have time.
oklet me know how it gosthanks