James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 91 FORD lariat 4x4 P/U with a 5.8 engine. Just had

Customer Question

I have a 91 FORD lariat 4x4 P/U with a 5.8 engine. Just had the silinoid replaced and starter. Now truck won't start again after one week. When I try to start it, it just makes a thump noise at the silinoid. It has a tendency to have a heavy start anyway. And what I mean by that is. It's feels like the engine is too much for the system. But it starts quick.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is a worn out starter itself. What happens is the starter has enough power to engage but it's no longer strong enough to turn the engine over.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just replaced the starter. Someone said that the newer starters need to be adjusted so the teeth meet up on these Fords
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I went out and arched the silinoid , and the starter was turning but not engaging the flywheel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello! Man I've been waiting all day for your response . I told you I had a new stater in the beginning. And your answer is your starter is warn out, so pissed right now. I missed a friends funeral today cause I couldn't get my truck running.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Ford Starters rarely require shimming to engage the flywheel. I have yet to have a Ford Starter I needed to actually adjust. the post originally showed on the phone you replaced the solenoid. The rest of the post wasn't there. If the starter is spinning but not going out to meet the fly wheel then the starter can still be bad even though it is new. Unless the flexplate isn't straight anymore.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I paid for a shop to put in a new starter from Napa, but the starter was bad and I wasted a whole day and had to tow my truck again to the shop. Can I charge Napa with the bill?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
That I wouldn't know for sure. I would call Napa and explain to them the situation and see what they can do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Putting a new starter in now
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Sometimes parts stores will pay for warranty labor if there part is bad. What they pay if they do all depends.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mechanic said its a hard start and is concerned about burning the starter out. This is the second starter. So he says he's greasing everything that he can to loosen any thing up. What could we do to ease the problem. The battery is strong enough
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had to replace the alternator too. And now that it is good, battery should be strong because it's new too.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Everything is working now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Caretorecycle. com
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Talked to mechanic and he says he is trying to figure out why it has a hard start he calls it. Mean while I'm without a truck, have lost an important job, and am supposed to be patient after 2 weeks. I pay for justanswer so j can just get an answer , while I'm dying of heart failure. Literally.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
So the starter is now working but the vehicle is staring hard?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
It appears my answer is correct then that I have given you. Trying to diagnose a hard start over the internet can be a very difficult thing to do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Excuse me , but what was your answer? Please repeat it to me
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
You had a faulty starter when it wasn't starting. You said earlier the new starter now starts the engine. If the engine is turning over slowly there is probably high resistance in the positive or ground cable. To diagnose it you would have to perform a voltage drop test while trying to start the engine. The voltage shouldn't drop more than .3v when a load is on the actual cable.