Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F150 King Ranch 5.4 NOT Flex Fuel: I have a 2006 Ford

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 engine 133xxx mi that is not flex fuel. The engine is running rough with a possible missfire. The cstalyctic converter on the passenger side was clogged so I replaced it. Now, the new one is turning red. I know this is possibly due to engine running rich. It is only getting hot on the passenger side and it gets hot almost immediately all the way down to the muffler. I pulled and replaced spark plugs. The passenger sided spark plugs had carbon deposits. The rear one closest to the transmission on the passenger had a significantly higher deposit then the other three. Also, the first spark plug on the driver side closet to the radiator had oily liquid in it. I am hesitant to just say oil because the engine oil is very dark and the lubricant on the spark plug was clear. I checked all the coils for spark and all sparked. I guess what I am asking is, does the passenger side catalytic converter and exhaust lines to the muffler getting red an independent issue from the fluid leak into the #1 spark plug chamber? I have tried conducting a compression test but I can't get the dang thing to screw into the spark plug port. I am going to remove the valve cover on the driver side to inspect the fluid leak into the chamber. Any thoughts why the passenger side exhaust line is getting hot? I removed and tested O2 sensors and they are working.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
greetings, cat cold be getting hot due to running rich or lean. is the check engine light on? any trouble codes? do you have access to a scanner that can should live data?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
these engines are known for phaser or valve timing issues. If the oil has not been changed the VVT solenoid housings can clog and the phasers can stop working. If the valve timing is off on one bank it will cause misfires and the exhaust/cat can get hot/red.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
let me know if there are any trouble codes and what they are. let me know if the engine is making any noises cold or warm.