Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

Ranger Truck: On or about October 16, 2012, the rear main seal

Customer Question

On or about October 16, 2012, the rear main seal was replaced on my 2004 Ford Ranger. On October 25, 2014, during service it was discovered by the technician that an oil leak was present at the rear main area. I decided not to have the problem corrected at that time because of the cost ($1246) when the repair was done in October, 2012. Recently I decided to have the problem corrected, but was told that the guarantee on the on the October, 2012 repair had expired (3 years). If the problem was detected during the October, 2012 service, then it should have been corrected because the guarantee was still valid. Now, the dealership refuses to correct the problem unless I pay for the repair. Another thing, do the seals that are installed do not last more than 3 years? I believe that is not the case! Since the leak was detected by the dealership technician 2 years later after the repair was made, the guarantee was still in force! Lorenzo Abalos
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 7 months ago.
Hello Lorenzo, my name is***** am sorry to hear about what is going on with your vehicle. If the issue was documented and you have a receipt for it then they should honor it. If they do not then you need to contact Ford of North America. If you do not have documentation then they will not need to cover it. As for it lasting, it should last longer than that unless there are other issues like to much internal crankcase pressure. If there is the rear main is the first seal to fail. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more assistance.