A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Ford Explorer: I have a 1997 Ford Explorer which has stood

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer which has stood idle for 6 months. I purchased a new battery, refilled the radiator, checked the oil (cold), and attempted to start the engine. It won't start. I can here the engine cranking. (No clicking solenoid; No whirring starter.) I have tried 3-4 times, waited awhile, then tried again. I'm afraid of killing the battery. Am I missing something, maybe gas related; or am I just not cranking long enough.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.
You may have what is called stale fuel which will foul out the spark plugs because it will not burn. Or you could have a failed fuel pump. There is a test port on the engine on the metal fuel lines for the fuel injectors. Cycle the key on and off a couple of times and see it you get any fuel pressure at the test port. It looks like a tire valve stem.