roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Mustang: Have a 2004 mustang gt with check engine light on,

Customer Question

Have a 2004 mustang gt with check engine light on, Man at autozone said I have a constant 1 amp draw. Getting P-1633 code, I already replaced my PCM, My right directional bulb keeps blowing, aftermarket headlight set. also my one fuse that runs the directional,four ways, and brake lights go out often.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assistlet me get the info for the 1633. why did you replace the pcm??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Place where I usually get work done on car said they were 100% sure it was the pcm(obvioiusly they were wrong)
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
the code is for keep alive memory for the pcm. the chart I attached is the test for it. follow the test and verify voltage to the pcm at pin 104.yes, testing is needed before assuming anything Roy
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
how are you making out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
gonna have alternator, battery, aftermarket headlights connections, right turn signal harness, plug all checked by expert tomorrow. Did go to autozone and Ive got a 1 amp constant drain?????? Stereo shop is also checking new stereo connections, Have newer stereo with phone,dvd movie player and I plug my detector(radar) and camera in cigarette fitting. Maybe I need higher output alternater.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
no, 1 amp is too much. should be no more than 50-100 milli amps. lets talk about the main issue. whats going on?? did you do the check I told you Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't check the kapar connection to pin, I have very cheap electrical testing tools, I don't have a ohm meter, autozone while checking battery showed me on battery test I have a 1 amp pull. Brought car to local mechanic were new rims and tires were installed with new fog light housing and bulbs. They did a test for check engine light and they called me and said I needed new PCM. So I bought PCM had a ford dealer install it he told me I had a code P-1633 after after install.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, thanks. remember, parts people are not techs. the test he did was not accurate. when doing a parasitic draw test, you need to leave the car off for a minimum of 1 to 2 hours so all the modules can go to sleep. then you do the draw test. never an ohm meter. never use that or a test light. use a voltmeter only. you need to test the fuse in the circuit I sent you. it may be as simple as a blown fuse. Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Be back, Checking all fuses with alligator clip and light
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In your opinion which are the key fuses to check?
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
check all internal fuses for power on both sides for power with key on. pin 104 is the pin you need to check at the pcm. Roy
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy