roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Mustang: Have a 2004 mustang gt with check engine light on,

Customer Question

Have a 2004 mustang gt with check engine light on, Man at autozone said I have a constant 1 amp draw. Getting P-1633 code, I already replaced my PCM, My right directional bulb keeps blowing, aftermarket headlight set. also my one fuse that runs the directional,four ways, and brake lights go out often.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assistlet me get the info for the 1633. why did you replace the pcm??? Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Place where I usually get work done on car said they were 100% sure it was the pcm(obvioiusly they were wrong)
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
the code is for keep alive memory for the pcm. the chart I attached is the test for it. follow the test and verify voltage to the pcm at pin 104.yes, testing is needed before assuming anything Roy
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
how are you making out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
gonna have alternator, battery, aftermarket headlights connections, right turn signal harness, plug all checked by expert tomorrow. Did go to autozone and Ive got a 1 amp constant drain?????? Stereo shop is also checking new stereo connections, Have newer stereo with phone,dvd movie player and I plug my detector(radar) and camera in cigarette fitting. Maybe I need higher output alternater.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
no, 1 amp is too much. should be no more than 50-100 milli amps. lets talk about the main issue. whats going on?? did you do the check I told you Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't check the kapar connection to pin, I have very cheap electrical testing tools, I don't have a ohm meter, autozone while checking battery showed me on battery test I have a 1 amp pull. Brought car to local mechanic were new rims and tires were installed with new fog light housing and bulbs. They did a test for check engine light and they called me and said I needed new PCM. So I bought PCM had a ford dealer install it he told me I had a code P-1633 after after install.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
ok, thanks. remember, parts people are not techs. the test he did was not accurate. when doing a parasitic draw test, you need to leave the car off for a minimum of 1 to 2 hours so all the modules can go to sleep. then you do the draw test. never an ohm meter. never use that or a test light. use a voltmeter only. you need to test the fuse in the circuit I sent you. it may be as simple as a blown fuse. Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Be back, Checking all fuses with alligator clip and light
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In your opinion which are the key fuses to check?
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
check all internal fuses for power on both sides for power with key on. pin 104 is the pin you need to check at the pcm. Roy
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy