A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Ranger: what causes oil pressure sending unit on my 2002 ford

Customer Question

what causes oil pressure sending unit on my 2002 ford ranger to leak. (have replaced it 3 times-fourth unit in). I now know that the gauge might be faulty but, upon removal the sending unit is leaking. Do you know what might be causing this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.
Where are you getting these sending units?Auto parts store, Ford dealership?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
one was acquired by Tireman Auto store, original and one replacement Ford parts, last from a parts store.
Who is putting them in. It is really rare for 3 of them to fail in a row?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
first one was factory install and failed at about 75k. next one I installed (and I am very experienced with installing components such as this as I worked on hydraulics on a B52), next one was installed at a shop (Tireman). Last one I installed again out of necessity as I was taking truck on a longer trip. If the sending unit had been leaking on the outside I could see your point but, these were leaking internally and I am totally baffled. This is a very simple component, could I have just found the three in a row? Most generally I have not seen units like this go unless someone has hit them. but, this is on top of the block and the unit is solid at base. I have seen quite a lot of chatter online about these sending units on Ford failing but, no apparent reason. I figured for 18bucks I might get some info on what to look for or what not to do.
William D. Wittenmyer, TSgt USAF, retired
Try doing a manual oil pressure test on the engine itself while is it running. Use a test gauge and attach it where the sending unit installs. You should get 25 psi at idle and up to 40-50 psi at 2500 rpms. If the oil pressure is too high, then it can blow through the sender. But if pressure is within specs, then you ran into a batch of bad senders.
By the way, thank you for your service. My dad retired the Air Force after 25 years as a MSgt. Started at Andrews AFB in DC. Then went to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska. Then Scott AFB in Springfield, MS. Then Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, Tx. Tried to get in the medical field during the Korean War. But stayed in the states loading ammunition into fighter jets till he got into the field he requested.