James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F-150 XLT: I have a 2002 F150 XLT Supercab. Steering works

Customer Question

I have a 2002 F150 XLT Supercab. Steering works fine when in 2wd, but when I have it in 4wd and am driving slow (like in a parking lot) the steering suddenly tightens when I turn and the truck feels like it is going to stall. I have to put it in 2wd to pull into a parking stall.
As a side note, the power steering makes a low hissing noise all the time when turning left (even 2wd). Had the pump replaced, but the noise remains. Not sure if the noise is coming from the steering column or farther down. Not sure if this is related or not.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Hello, are you using the*****on hard dry surfaces?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't used it in dry conditions. I only use the 4wd when it snows. So it should be easier to steer, but instead it feels like I am getting stuck and the stress of it makes the truck feel like it's going to stall. Yesterday I was just in wet snow that wasn't sticking to the ground and it felt the same way. As soon as I put it back into 2wd it is fine.
The experience is like when ice builds up in the wheel wells and you can't turn and move forward at the same time. Except that there isn't any ice in the wheel wells.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
*****does bind when turning tight. If it is binding alot in*****you can have a bad front axle shaft that will need to be replaced. Usually one direction will be harder to turn than others?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It binds up even when not tightly turning. Yesterday I was just pulling into an angled parking space.
Any idea on what it costs to replace the front axle shaft?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
The part cost anywhere from 150-300 a piece. Then you are looking at 1.5 hours to replace each side if you were to pay a shop to perform the repair.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
you are welcome. please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.