Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

Edge: My 2010 Ford Edge's parking sensor beep keeps going off

Customer Question

My 2010 Ford Edge's parking sensor beep keeps going off while I'm driving. It has gotten progressively worse until now it's going off almost continuously. Pressing reset or set up does not have any affect. I do not care if the reverse sensor doesn't work. I just want to turn off the beep. Help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.Is the vehicle equipped with front and rear sensors or just rear? Front was an option.Is the vehicle equipped with back up camera or blind spot assist?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just rear sensors.
Blind spot assist
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks. So just to be clear the rear sensors are indicating an obstacle when the transmission is in drive and moving forward?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. The beep goes off while I am driver with the message check parking aid. Then it goes back to the normal display, number of miles until empty, etc. This happens every 2-3 seconds, then can stop for miles and then restart. There is nothing in particular that triggers it to start or stop or restart.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not driver, driving. It doesn't matter if I set the park aid to on or off.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 months ago.
If you can get it to do it sitting in drive at an idle can you have an assistant see if the reverse lamps are coming on at the same time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can not get it to do it idle. The reverse lights are definitely not going off at the same time. I've had my husband behind me driving his car to check.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My husband did some research and said it was just a bad sensor. I just want to turn off the warning.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks.The park aid module (PAM) actively monitors the system even when it is disabled manually. If a fault is detected the PAM will send a message to the instrument cluster module (IC) over the network to show the message. There is no way to disable this, even if the PAM was disconnected then the IC would still display the message, since the communication between the PAM and IC would be disrupted.. it would actually display more warnings then it does now. Ford and the NTSB require the system to operate this way since it is a safety device. It could be a sensor, a circuit concern between the sensors and module, the module itself, or a power/ground concern to the module.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So i have to make an appointment to bring it in and live with this constant beep so my $38 was wasted pretty much. I guess I am dissatisfied and would want there to be no charge.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 months ago.
Its not really my fault. I did not design the system. I just answer questions with correct answers. If I did something less than that, by all means don't feel you have to pay. Your dissatisfied with me, or with Ford for designing the system the way it did. There is not much I can do from this end to change the way the system is designed.