James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2004 F350 super duty 6.0 diesel: On my 2004 f350 I have no

Customer Question

On my 2004 f350 I have no power to the 12v (orange wire) for my 7 pin trailer connection. I have checked all the fuses and relays I can identify, all are good. I am not sure where to go from here.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello, are you testing this when the key is in the on position?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I tested this with the key on. I used my trailer 2 weeks ago and everything was fine, after letting the truck sit for almost two weeks, I went to hook up the trailer, and got nothing. All the relays identified in the manual as being related to towing were bench tested, there is continuity through them when they are energized. All the fuses identified by the manual as being towing related were tested for continuity in addition to a visual inspection. The ground wire in the harness was checked against the frame for continuity and is not faulty. The light gauge power wire for the flat 4 pin trailer plug that comes from one of the pins in the center of the factory harness does work. The larger gauge orange wire that comes from one of the corners of the harness plug does not.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Yea it should be a 12ga Orange wire. Can you test the trailer charge fuse to see if it's getting power. If it is the wire is broken between the duse panel and the trailer connector?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is not, nor has there ever been, a fuse #115 Trailer Tow Charge installed in my truck. Yet, for the entire time I've owned the truck the 12v+ pin has carried power. But, to answer your question, the terminals for #115, with the key on, give a reading of 0.005v.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
While this underlying problem has not been fixed, the overall problem of no trailer lights has been addressed. I discovered that the 7 pin connector pigtail was having intermittent contact issues.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
I will get a diagram for the trailer wiring.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Fuse 115 needs to have 12v at all times. If it doesn't you are losing power inside the fuse panel.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello were you able to get your concern corrected?