James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Ford F 150 o/d light will blink and go into safe mode which

Customer Question

Ford F 150 o/d light will blink and go into safe mode which is 3rd gear and wont change . It only does it when you drive it a couple miles . if you let it rest for a couple hours it will switch gers fine and then do it again.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2004 4.6 engine It seems to me something is heating up to make it stay in 3rd gear, but when it does switch gears for 10 minutes of driving its as smooth as a new truck.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4x4 and automatic transmission also.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello, do you have a way to test for codes? On this vehicle the direct clutches inside the transmission affect 3rd gear. They are known to burn out and cause this issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got the codes checked and they say it could be 3 different things. clogged filter , sensor or swicth in transmission where you drop the pan or speed sensor ?
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Its possible. what was the code you got?