AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ford free star won't start. It turns over fine

Customer Question

***** *****. Ford free star won't start. It turns over fine and idles low and real rough for a second or 2 then dies. It was low on fuel. Low fuel warning light had been on for 35 miles, which it had before. However I had the front jacked up and replaced cv axle which may have caused it to starve for fuel. Have now put 2 gallons in and it's doing the same thing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It ran fine before putting it on jack stands to replace the cv axle
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Have you checked the fuel pressure? Have you checked for codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have spark. I just pulled hose? Coming from air filter housing, poured gas in throttle body and it started and ran fine until it seemingly ran out of fuel. How/where do I check fuel pressure? I do not have a scanner
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
You might just have a bad fuel pump or no power to the fuel pump for some reason. It might be as simple as that. There should be a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail you can use to check fuel pressure. Or you can listen for the fuel pump to come on when turning the key on or when cranking..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got online and found location of fuel safety switch. I reset it and the van is running, just drove it to gas station. Idling rough the last few days, I figured the mass airflow sensor? Needed cleaning
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
So it is not now running after reseting the the fuel saftey switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is running just idling rough once warm
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Got it! YES, the mass air flow sensor can and will do this if it goes bad. Also, any air or vacuum leak can cause an engine idling issue as well so be sure to check for this before replacing the mass air flow sensor. Just be sure that the tune up parts are in good shape.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will try cleaning mass air flow first, yes may be vacuum leak
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for helping
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Your welcome! I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great night!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Van will not start first try, so far second try does the trick.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and good morning! I see you have not yet rated my answer. Do you have any further questions or is there anything else I can assist you with? If so, please let me know! If not, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for answering your questions. You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Thanks and have a great day!!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!