sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2004 Mustang V6, 3.9. Stock radio no power, (Switched/ignition)

Customer Question

2004 Mustang V6, 3.9. Stock radio no power, (Switched/ignition) only cd player and menu on the radio work. I also have no wipers blade power. It's also a switched unit. I wonder if the share the same cable swiched power cable. All fuses check out OK by the way. I used a circuit tester and pulled the cable tape back on the pink/black switched power cable and have no power getting to the radio with the key turned. The good news is that the under dash fuse box works as it should. So it seems I have power from the battery to the driver inside fuse box. What do you recommend I do to find the open circuit?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Yes, all works except the windshield wipers and the stock radio head.
JA: Glad to hear that.
Customer: I am Sergio in FL by the way. Nice to meet you. I put the car back together this morning but I am home now and just disconnected the negative from the battery and am pulling the dash apart.
JA: How old is the battery?
Customer: About 6 months. Funny story I thought I had an AC problem back 6 months ago. Turned out it was a battery/Alternator issue. I did not have enough volts to engage the magnetic clutch
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Battery is fine on volts around 12. And running hits around 14 volts
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I now have the dash apart and can see the same black and pink cable running to the ignition right side of the steering column. Hard to find it going into the left side where the wiper blades are, the turn signals do work and I imagine those ar edd on switched power too. So not sure how to find the open circuit or what ever is the issue here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any responses?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. At the wiper motor locate the dark blue wire with orange stripe and test it for power with the key on and wipers on and let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mixed bag. 2st I used the circuit tester at the motor switched cable and it lit up and beeped. It also the 30A #26 fuse inside the car. Now when I check voltage with the meter I get nothing out of the black and pink switched wire. The green wire next to it gets over 12v. It almost feels like I made it worse. I replaced the fuse and checked all of the rest one by one. They all check out OK now. Not sure what else to try. My radio and wipers are out of commission
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1st not 2st. Typo...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dark blue wire with orange stripe reads nothing on the volt meter. Only the solid green all other wires read zero
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checked again .01 - .014 volts. Solid green reads just over 12v. All other cables read same as the orange and blue. Key on etc....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12.6 volts at fuse position 26. I removed the 30A fuse and put the volt meter on it after turning the key. So I am getting power to the box still.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you available? What was the orange and blue vable?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Motor works. I was able to put a cable to orange and blue position on the motor to the positive terminal of the battery and one to the negative to black cable position. Motor turns. So it's all electrical
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Does the white wire have voltage on it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just the green
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
At the battery junction box locate the wiper high/low relay and remove it keeping in mind how it was installed.Test for power at one of the terminals with key on and off and see if a second terminal that the relay plugged into has voltage with key on or off and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes 12.50 volts on it but only with the key turnef
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relay position #3 on the owners manual.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,looking through my info on this here unfortunately I dont show the complete diagram for this system myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The same circuit powers fuses 20, 26, and 32, one of these fuses is for the wiper motor and another for the radio. If fuses are good then you likely have a bad ignition switch but it could be a wiring issue. At the ignition switch do you have power on the two yellow wires? With the key on do you have power on the black/light green?