Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Ford: I traded 94 7.3 turbo 278,000 truck, kid said hpop

Customer Question

I traded for a 94 7.3 turbo 278,000 truck, kid said hpop was out, got home did some diagnostic research, filed the hpop reservoir and it started and ran, no oil pressure and not filling reservoir back up. So back to research since that eliminated hpop, it started with lpop being bad, ipr problems, and relief valves. We did lpop( which had wear for the mileage) and still no start other than filling hpop, we did oil bath new lpop, it was pumping a little, since it filled oil filter the rest of the way up, down the list we go, did the ipr and still no change, so researched the relief valves, pulled oil filter off and was missing the one that u can see, pulled apart and the other valve was hanging out also, ordered new updated filter adapter, cleaned oil cooler, put back together, hand pulled oil back through oil filter housing to where we could c it filling hpop reservoir. Still only started and ran till hpop ran dry. Next option is to pull lpop back off and check pickup tube. Is this the next step or is there something I'm missing??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.You're headed in the right direction. Most of the time, this issue can be traced back to a leak in the pick-up tube - either a bad gasket/seal where it connects to the cover or a cracked tube itself.While you're at it, don't forget to check flow through the oil cooler. Sometimes these engines don't get the maintenance they need and sludge forms and blocks those passages.Best Regards.