Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

My 04 Explorer cranks but won't start acts like it wants to

Customer Question

My 04 Explorer cranks but won't start acts like it wants to turn over or start on my first crank but doesn't n I checked my spark plugs n they are getting a lot of gas my anti theft is not coming on at all what could this be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. When you get in the truck, and turn the key to the ON position, Lock for the red ANTI THEFT light to come on for a few seconds, and then go out. Does it do that? Also, do you see the check engine light come on and stay on with just the key ON? Let us know, Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When i put the key on the on position the anti-theft does not come on at all and the check engine light stays on
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Alright, give me just a few minutes to look at this, thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Alright, can you check two fuses? Do you have a volt meter or test light? if not you will have to pull them out and physically look at them, on the interior fuse panel, I want you to check fuse number 14 and 20, both 5 amp fuses.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Both fuses are good
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Alright, can you see if you have power to them, fuse 14 will be hot with the key ON, fuse 20 is suppose to be HOT all the time.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
I'm speaking of the red anti theft light in the instrument cluster. that never comes on correct?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes they have power going to them and yes the anti-theft does not come on at all
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Alright, Do you have a spare key by chance? It's a small possibility that bulb is burned out, but not likely. It's either that, or the wiring is broke between fuse 20 and the light, or the PCM has failed. And if you have power to fuse 20, and a spare key didn't work, I'm beginning to believe the PCM has failed. Do you have a code reader by chance? And if so, can you tell me if any codes are present?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it's shooting a lot of gas and making it choke after I let it set it will act like it wants to start but doesn't and it's always on my first crank and it starts smelling like gas
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
If the anti theft light doesn't come on at all, then I believe that could very well have something to do with this problem, as the anti theft light is suppose to come on with key on. Did it ever run with this light not coming on? If so, it's possible it's burned out but I doubt it. If you hold it to the floor and crank the starter for 10 seconds or so, it won't fire up then either will it? If it's flooded, giving it all the air you can give it can sometimes make one start.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank u for the help I'm gonna take it to the dealership
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
If you don't have an advanced type scanner to scan for codes, and volt meter to do some checks, I would at least take it to a good independent shop that has this equipment. These systems (FORD PATS) have been around awhile now, so independent shops do have experience on them and that could save you some from a dealer. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.