Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

How can I hookup a output shaft speed sensor on 95 explore

Customer Question

How can I hookup a output shaft speed sensor on 95 explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 8 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Can you clarify what you mean here?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put a transmissionfrom a 98 Ford Explorer 4.0 into my 95 Ford Explorer now I am having trouble trying to hook up the output shaft speed sensor which needs to be hooked up at the PCM
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My 95 Ford Explorer 4.0 transmission wiring harness did not have the hookup for the output shaft speed sensor so I went to the junkyard and found a 98 Ford Explorer transmission wiring harness and cut the end off to plug into the sensor and now I need to know where the two wires to one wire is gray and red the other is blue and yellow where do they hook up there?
Your PCM doesnt support a OSS. Your vehicle came with a VSS. For all practical purposes I would consider it impossible. You would have to upgrade your PCM, wiring harness and any sensors, etc to the 98 system.It would be a ton of work and money to make it happen.. its not as simply as hooking it up.. theres nowhere in the current PCM to accept the signal even if you run wires to it.Unfortunately your best bet is to get a compatible transmission and put in there. As Im sure you have seen it wont shift properly without the proper PCM.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hooked it up at my old speed sensor and everything work properly it just cuts out like I'm at the top speed of the vehicle
Thats because your PCM doesnt know the vehicle speed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So there's no way to bypass the OS's sensor to make it work correctly
No. With the current transmission it needs the correct PCM which accepts the signal from the OSS and uses it to calculate various things (such as the revlometer which is what is causing your current issue)