EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Good morning Pearl. My name is***** i was sitting

Customer Question

good morning Pearl. My name is***** i was sitting in park engine running ac on and then the engine temp gauge went in the red. I changed the thermo but obviously not the problem.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with AC issues. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse, or something slightly more complicated like a condenser. Any weird smells or rattling noises?
Customer: I checked the fuses and relays all good
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to AC guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: im thinking the pcm that controls the fans is the culprit
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: how can i check the pcm and where is it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What kind of Ford is this and what engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 escape xlt*****v6 3.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed that with engine on and ac on the ac fan does not work either, thats why im thinking the power control module went out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ac cooling fan the interior fan works just fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
More common on the escape for the cooling fans to not work is the cooling fan resistor which is located on the cooling fan shroud
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You should first look at the resistor by removing it and seeing if it is all green with corrosion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok would that cause both the engine cooling fan and the ac fans to not work?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Did you check fuses 16 and 17 (40amp) to make sure they are good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im on ssi 730 bucks a month doesnt go far so i gotta keep it here
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all fuses and relays are good
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Do you have a test light and perhaps a jumper wire? You can verify that power is at the relays, you can check to see if the fans turn on by applying power, and you can check if the pcm is grounding the relays.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also checked with key on to see that they had power to them all and they do
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
ok.do you have power to the cooling fan motor on the green wire when the car is hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way i could use myvolt/olm tester to check the resistor itself
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes check the resistance of the resistor by disconnecting its connector and using ohms on your meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havent checked that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill do that now the engine should be still warm so it should only take a few minutes will you still be here in say 10 minutes ?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
ok. The site offers pdf files of wiring diagrams. It is a 5 dollar charge for all the pdf files you need. If you want I can get you the cooling system wiring diagram. That will help you trace the power flow so you can check voltages with your meter. It is a simple circuit. Power to some relays and the motors, waiting for the pcm to ground the relays.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill be right back
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK engine running and just above normal operating temp no power on green wire
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You need to go to the relay for the low speed and see if the pcm is grounding it. And also jump the relay to see if you can turn the fan on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i jump the relay? any particular points to use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if i do it wrong will it spike the computer?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. First. Lets do something easier. You should apply your own power and ground to each of the cooling motors and make sure they both run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the fan resistor have a green and yellow wire? there is a unit that looks like it may be the resistor bolted just above the fan shroud on the frame work.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
no. Has a green/blue wire to it. And a Brown wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
glad i didnt jump that i could see explining that to my wife why the airbags deployed lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is it normally located
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
its on the shroud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill look again. towards the top or bottom?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
No wait. I see. The resistor is only on the 2.3L model escape. It would be on the top on the drivers side. You need to apply power and ground to the fans to make sure they work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okk i was gonna say there isnt anything on the shroud but the fans ill go check the fans be back in a few
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok fans work fine jumping them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pcm ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?anybody there
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
you said the relays are good, so you probably want to see if the pcm is grounding the relays to turn them on.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have more questions on this. And also positively rate the service I provided to help close out this chat.