Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ford explorer XLT: I changed my alternator , after hooking

Customer Question

I changed my alternator , after hooking battery back up , the instrument panel lights up in test mode, looks like it runs a self test then goe dead. How do I get it back to normal ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Is the engine starting and running with this issue and if it is does the instrument panel blank out with the engine running? Are any other electronics acting up at all with this issue here? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it starts and runs fine, headlights and dome lights work as the should, Radio does not. After engine starts the instrument panel runs self test , the mileage shows up on screen, thn the gauges sweep return to rest and the panel goes blank. engine still running fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Was the radio an issue before the instrument panel issue started or did they both act up at the same time?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
both at same time
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
everything was normal before I disconnect battery to R&R alternator for bad bearing.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Is this the 4.0 liter or 4.6 liter engine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.0
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I turn the key to the start position bun do not engage starter the panel lights up and indicator says TEST.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
O.k.,try pressing the reset button and holding on the instrument cluster and see if it takes it out of test mode and see if it and the radio work properly from there and let me know.This may be a reset button on the driver information center as well or may be the odometer trip reset button.Do this with the key on and if this doesnt work try with the engine running.Let me know if this works. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete