Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

Ford lariat: after driving the engine is hot and then shut

Customer Question

after driving the engine is hot and then shut off. It will not re-start until it cools.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** the time it will not start, have you tested the fuel pressure or checked for spark? Also are there any trouble codes stored in the computer? We can go back and forth on this question several times to help pinpoint your problem. Let me know thanks Scott
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Scott No I have not done any testing. No warnings came up on the displays. It does start quickly, like within seconds when it does start, both normally and after it has cooled down.
One thing, this problem has not occurred before. Also this is the first time I've used the vehicle for over two years.Thanks Wayne.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, the first thing I would try since it has been sitting is, swap out the fuel pump and PCM relays then recheck. If that doesn't fix it, then the fuel pressure should be tested and also checked for spark. Let me know what happens. It may have a bad fuel pump also, but try the relays first.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Your suggestion about "does it have spark" seems to fit the bill. If it was fuel I think it would show signs of trying to start, whereas no spark is more like just like shutting off a switch. That would be a better answer.. SUPPOSE 'no spark" is the issue, what would be the next step
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Have you checked the relays or swapped them out? If the PCM relay isn't working, it is the same as no spark because the computer isn't being turned on. To check for spark remove a coil or plug wire and install and ground a used spark plug in the boot, then crank the engine over looking for spark. What size engine do you have?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
If you have a fuel pressure tester, you can install th gauge and see if there is fuel pressure when cranking. There should be 30-40 psi fuel pressure.