Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

F350: 2000 ford f350 7.3l cranks, will not start.I got the

Customer Question

2000 ford f350 7.3l cranks, will not start.
I got the truck at the end of December last year. It it has been broken down atleast half the time I have owned it. This truck was not took care of by the last guy and unfortunately I am stuck with it. Truck was running good just had a very bad oil leak at the oil cooler, hpop and turbo pedestal. I rebuilt the oil cooler, I also changed the driver side glow plugs and uvch along with gasket. Truck ran great. For a couple weeks then the fuel sending unit boot wentry bad, I replaced the boot and micro screens, cleaned out the fuel bowl as well as it was very dirty. I also went ahead and replaced the turbo pedestal with a non ebvp kit, did the passenger side valve cover gasket and harness along with the glow plugs, put everything back together truck started right up drove it down the road went shopping came out started up drove it about a mile and it just died, changed the cps out still nothing, I got another cps and still got no response, I have took the hpop off changed the gasket and o rings, change out the non serviceable plug, Check ball good, put it back on still nothing, changed the ipr again but nothing, I changed the hpop out with a used one still nothing, I am getting 180 RPM, icp is off the charts, so I unplug it and get 2300 psi, did a buzz test all sound good at first I had number 8 injector high, checked the wires made sure they are tight now no codes in idm I am about to take the truck the the scrap yard I am so fed up with it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.
Hi Angona, My name is***** will be glad to help. unplugging the ICP puts the ECM in a default mode for settings. Does it start with the ICP unplugged?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I can't get this truck to start to save my life
Test bothe fuel pressure and ICP with a mechanical gauge. Use a 5000PSI gauge for ICP and a 160 or higher gauge for the fuel pressure which should be around 80-90 PSI. You should see around 870PSI ICP cranking and up to over 4000 high idle. Let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I unfortunately do not have a gage
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
They are pretty inexpensive and you can get them at any hydraulic shop. adapting it into the RH and left side you will need to pick up some adapters to do it but I block off R and left sides individually to see if one side is leaking by the injector o rings, The other option is teeing in aith shop air and listening for leaks under the valve covers. you should have none
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not 100% but I don't believe this is a fuel problem. Now I was just watching my scan results from last night and the ICP value go's up to 3.2(v) and around 3k psi IPR% seems to supply the right % what would cause this do rise like that.
The IPR controls the ICP regulated pressure according to the commanded or desired. So either its getting the correct commanded voltage and mechanically failed when fluctuating actual pressure or compensating for leaks, Or it is receiving the wrong signal. Test for leaks in the high pressure rail/injector o rings with shop air... If Ok and the IPR passes and is new, It is likely an command problem form the ECM. Check the harness and possible try re flashing the ECM if the harness and sensors check good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you by chance have a wire diagram? If not I can try and find one
Here is a little Bible that will be very helpful to you... Schematics are on PDF page 50 and on.... There is a lot of good troubleshooting info there too. Please remember to rate my service as that is how the sire credits the experts for their time helping on the site.Troubleshooting and schematics