sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Ford Thunderbird turbo coupe: I have a 1987 ford thunderbird

Customer Question

I have a 1987 ford thunderbird turbo coupe that I'm rebuilding. I just serviced lights on instrument cluster and the turbo boost hose disconnected from vacuum tree - beats crap out of me where is tree located in back of dash - the connection to instrument cluster is solid -- need help with ideas on where I should be looking to reconnect turbo boost hose
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
This gauge monitors turbocharger boost pressure. It is connected to engine vacuum tree by a hose attached to back of gauge. Let me see if I can find a diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct but where is the engine vacuum tree located?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The Supercharger boost and battery voltage gauges are part of the fuel gauge assembly. Remove the instrument cluster assembly.Remove the fuel gauge assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The line to the instrument cluster is secure - the tree has got to be by the internal firewall but is just don't know where to look - is it under the carpet behind brake or gas pedal areas?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
That is all the info I have,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that did not help :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I re-list question to see if someone else can answer?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to start from beginning?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The line to the boost gauge shoudl come from the intercooler. Locate the line there and follow it to the firewall, where it passes through is where you'll look for it on the inside. Have you been able to locate the line in the engine compartment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok found the boost gauge tube and it runs across engine compartment to drivers side and enters firewall just prior to fender area - however I can't seem to locate coming through firewall - I just tried to use fish line and inserted it on engine side but it goes about 18 " and stops -- here is a pick of the line from the cluster -- looks like the plastic end needs to insert into something but still have no idea what I'm looking for where it might be located. :( Notice the white flange tube at end of line - this is what I'm trying to find connection to - thanks
Do you have the instrument cluster back out again now to search for the line?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
might you have a picture or diagram of what i'm looking for?
There isn't a diagram of this in the service manual, and there wouldn't be a way to know what has happened to the line in your specific case. If you're unable to see the line from the instrument cluster opening then you're going to need to remove other dash trim panels as necessary, use a mirror or possibly even a boroscope to locate the line. Note the location where the line enters the firewall outside and start your search in the same area inside the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i've already taken much apart - just very frustrating - i took tube off to get approximation of where it might be to no avail - must be missing something -- does justanswers have tbird gurus from years past that I may be able to reach out too?
Your question has been open for an extended time without a response and has been seen by dozens of other experts, I wanted to try to help because noone else was. There isn't a way for anyone to tell you exactly where the line is on your vehicle at this time though because it has been worked on since it was built, there is no way to know who has done what or where the line could have gone; you've located the line going through the firewall and that's as far as anyone could go remotely. Your choices will be to run a new line or to keep disassembling and searching for the existing one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
understand - just really surprised that I have complete shop manuals for that car and that there is very little information on the turbo option - makes me wonder how a regular mechanic could do work on the car.. will keep looking and let you know what I find - let me know if you pick up and tidbits from your side.Thanks
I and most of the other experts have full factory service information but unfortunately there is little on the line, and the information in general isn't great because of the age.Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK appreciate the help here - different question - where is the hose located on the Turbo Intercooler itself - I may just look to run a new line.Thanks
I thought you had located the line in the engine compartment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the line i found goes to the top side of brake that appears to engage when you step on pedal.
Are you able to upload a picture of what you're looking at?