EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My manual ford focus 2003 will not accelerate up any slight

Customer Question

My manual ford focus 2003 will not accelerate up any slight incline and I have to down shift in order to increase speed. Is my transmission slipping?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 13 years old with 117k on it
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Routers were looked at and clips were replaced but front end shakes at 50mph
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.
Hi. It does not sound like your transmission is slipping. It sounds like you engine is low on power. Hence needing to downshift to gain engine rpms. When was the last time you has the spark plugs and fuel filter replaced?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Probably just over a year
Ok. It is possible that the catylitic converter can be plugged. That will cause the engine to have a severe lack of power when on the gas.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How is that fixed? Do I need to have it flushed?
If that is the problem it would need to be replaced. It is part of the exhaust. If it plugs air can not escape the engine fast enough for higher rpms. It can be checked by performing an exhaust backpressure test. Or removing it and visually looking into the cat converter.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What will cause front end shaking at 50mph? I just had 2 new tires put on at Goodyear. Are did they not align?
No. Shaking could be the tires not balanced correctly. Or a loose suspension component, like tie rod ends or ball joints. Also a bad front cv axle can cause shaking. A bucking or hestitation when under load can be caused by an ignition coil.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.
If you have more questions on this or more info to add then please do. Otherwise rate my service positively to help close out this chat. Thank you
Thanks for viewing my response yesterday at 6:08pm. Unless you have more questions on this, you need to rate the service positively to help close out this chat. Thank you.