Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I put a new steering column n my 1999 Ford explorer and it

Customer Question

I put a new steering column n my 1999 Ford explorer and it won't let me start due to anti theft stuff. I need to disable it how?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need to disable the anti theft on my Ford explorer 1999
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** is no good way to disable this PATS system as it is a very good anti theft system. If I may, what was wrong with your old steering column, is the lock cylinder and keys functional still that originally came with the vehicle?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
I will opt out, hopefully another expert will have a resolution for this. Thanks Scott
Expert:  Jeremy replied 8 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! You can't disable the PATS. It is tied into the modules on the vehicle. Since you changed the column, you most likely used new parts on the sensor for the key and the only thing at this point is to have the PATS system reprogrammed for the keys. If you don't do this, then the keys will not work. Also, one thing to check is to make sure the sensor wasn't left unplugged by mistake. That can also prevent the keys from being read.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.Did you still need assistance with this?