sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2002 Ford Focus ZX5, zetec 2.0. Was getting code P1299 and

Customer Question

2002 Ford Focus ZX5, zetec 2.0. Was getting code P1299 and vehicle had no power, could only drive it 20-30 mph. Replaced Cyl Head Temp Sensor, ran fine for a day, next day drove it now have two codes, P1290 and P0401.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes. An experienced mechanic replaced the sensor. It was not with a Ford part, he purchase part at Car Quest.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Ooooopps, temp gauge was erratic before sensor replacement. When the two codes popped up yesterday the temp gauge would not read and was stuck on cold.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Te P0401 is an EGR code and could be the valve itself, the EGR solenoid, a vacuum issue or restricted passages, but is usually the DPFE sensor, which is what monitors EGR operation.The P1290 is still related to the cylinder head temperature sensor, and this is related to the temperature gauge not working. This could be the sensor itself, wiring or connections, or in extremely rare cases it could be the powertrain control module. There is little chance of a PCM failure.Was the sensor's wiring tested at the time the code was setting and/or gauge didn't work?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good morning and thanks for the reply. I am not aware that the mechanic tested the wiring when he replaced the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor, but he did check the old sensor and the condition of the connector and terminals. The second day I drove it after the repair and the check engine light came on, the temperature gauge dropped out briefly and then went back to normal. Drove it to the store on the way home, although the check engine light is still on, the temperature guage seems to be operating normally. I will be looking into the tips provided regarding the EGR system and go from there, if there is anything else I need to be aware off, please do not hesitate to contact me. I appreciate your input.
Tks,
Larry
The issue with the temperature gauge and that fault code are being caused by the sensor or it's wiring. It's possible but not that likely that the replacement sensor is bad. If no visible problems are found with wiring or connections then the sensor ground and signal wires are going to need to be tested while the code is active and gauge is dropped out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will let him know, tks.
You're welcome!