sprinkles08
sprinkles08,
9825021

Ford box truck: I have a 1993 Ford 14' Box Truck with automatic

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Ford 14' Box Truck with automatic OD tranny. If I manually shift it into Low/2/D it seems to shift OK and I can drive it on the highway. But if I put it into D from a stop it seems to be starting out in 3rd gear....will slowly get up to speed and run on highway. Goes into R fine from dead stop.
It started doing this after sitting for a year or so, due to an electrical problem that took a long time to figure out (squirrel had chewed engine wires to start a nest in winter after I had run engine and it was warm under hood.) A mechanic changed the tranny fluid to try and fix it but that didn't help.
Suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jon, My name is ***** ***** is the transmission model and engine model?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dan.....it is a 351 Windsor motor and a C6 overdrive tranny.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds as if the trans is in limp in. If it cannot be controlled correctly then the powertrain control module will lock you in a single forward gear.The problem is most likely with a solenoid circuit, which could be a solenoid or wiring issue. If there was wiring damage and if especially if it sat for an extended time it's very possible that you have a wiring issue rather than a solenoid issue.Do you know what fault codes are setting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried to put a tester on to get fault codes but could not find a port to connect to. I think my truck is too old to have one under dash? Would there be someplace else to test that from?The wiring issue (why it sat for a year) ended up being several wires chewed through by squirrel, a few inches before computer behind battery. I had started the truck mid-winter just to warm it up and then after I shut it off a squirrel must have craled in to stay warm and started a nest...until it got cold again and left. The damage allowed the truck to crank but not start the very next day. It was hard to trace down. Only found it when the battery finally died and I pulled it out....respliced the damage and all good.Is the possible solenoid and wiring issues regarding my tranny problem outside of the tranny or do I need to drop tranny to check those?Truck was a good running truck before the tranny problem. Drove it straight thru from NY to New Orleans and to Nova Scotia...straight thru, non-stop trips.
It's a converted full sized van, correct? E350?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
14ft box truck with the overhang over cab with a van type nose.
Do you have the VIN?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
VIN# *****1993 Ford E350
The data link connector is in the left front corner of the engine compartment above the headlamp area. If you don't see any visual issues with transmission wiring or connections then the next step will be to determine what fault codes are setting and then electrical testing will be done from there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Left front side...meaning driver side?
The left side of a vehicle is on your left when you're in the driver's seat.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Trying to get someone to check for computer codes. Will let you know after that.
Great!