James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

F250 super duty 6.4L107,000 miles on it. Started to blow a

Customer Question

F250 super duty 6.4L107,000 miles on it. Started to blow a little white smoke after running down the road about ten minutes, not a lot of smoke then quits. Now I can't get it to run, starts and dies. This last winter it did it on really cold days the start and die problem which made me think it was a fuel issue. But know I am thinking ERG cooler failure and I don't know why it is not starting. I bought the truck used at 95,000 miles.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Same age as truck
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: fine averaging about 16 miles per gallon
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: ask him best tuner I should purchase for codes?
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello, do you have a way to test for codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like the EGR valve that is sticking open and causing your issue. If you had a way to test for codes it could help out alot.