James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Im ***** *****. I have a 96 f350 7.3l. It was running fine

Customer Question

Im ***** *****. I have a 96 f350 7.3l. It was running fine then died. I towed it home and started trying to diagnose. Then it started and i drove it up and down the driveway a few times and stopped and restarted it a few times. Then i let it idle and it died after 2 minutes. It started and again died after 2 min.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Could it be a clog in the fuel line or one of the pumps?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
Hello, when it is running does it run rough?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. It was running fine then just died. After sitting for a while it just started up and sounded fine. After 2 min it died but restarted. After 2 more min of idle it cut out like somebody turned it off. Now it wont start again. no smoke coming from exhaust.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
When you turn the key on does the wait to start lamp come on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It started again. Idled fine for 4 minutes this time then died abruptly.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the information. The first thing I would do is replace the fuel filter. If that is ok if you unplug the ICP sensor will the vehicle start and run?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There was oil leaking into the icp harness. it didnt start with it disconnected.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
There shouldn't be any oil leaking into the ICP sensor at all. It can be part of the issue. I would replace the ICP sensor and pigtail as well. This can be the complete issue or at least part of the issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ive replaced the fuel filter and icp sensor and cleaned out the harness with electrical cleaner because nobody has the harness. Still not starting and im out 200 bucks. Whats the next step?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
your not out 100 because the ICP sensor was bad. Cleaning the harness doesn't work it is only a band aid. Does this vehicle have a programmer on it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not that i am aware of. Tracked down a harness and heading out to get it, The Ford dealership wanted close to a hundred bucks but Oreillys has it for 20. If that doesnt solve the problem where should I look next?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a way to test for codes?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
does this have a programmer installed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So, when i went to replace the harness i cut the wires back as far as i could before they enter the big wire harness (about 4 inches) and there was still oil inside the wire. I wiped it off the best I could but didnt spray them with electric cleaner for fear of pushing it back in further. I made the connections and hooked it up but still having same results. Could the oil permeation be causing a problem? Should I pull apart the other wiring column and try to cut those back farther and hope there is no oil? If not, Whats the next thing to look for.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
If this vehicle has a programmer I would return the vehicle to stock. You should have been able to remove most contamination with the wire harness. Do you have a way to test for fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. I am a carpenter and dont have ANY specialized mechanics equipment. After it sat for a while it started right up and has been running for about 7 minutes now. The wires to the ipr looked a little frayed and I jiggled them a bit and pushed in on them right before it started. Should I take it apart and look there? Could this be the culprit?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It died again
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
The IPR wiring can be the issue as well. If you disconnect it and clean the connection does it help?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I disconnected the ipr harness and everything inside was clean. It was a super pain in the dick to get back on because of where it is located under a bunch of other stuff that I had to take off. But still no change.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
Do you have an oil pressure guage so you can measure actual oil pressure. Is the oil level full and not low? Otherwise my only other thought is the fuel pump is weak and will likely need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me ask you about this and see if it seems plausible. Underneath I found something I missed previously. I saw what looked like a leak in a hard to see spot on the fuel line by the wetness surrounding it. I wiped the fuel lines and surrounding area real quick so I could check for new wetness after I cranked the engine. But low and behold it started. So I got back under with some glasses on to wait for it to die like it has the previous time that it would randomly start and run for two minutes thinking I would be able to see if and where the leak was. But it didn't die. It ran for 15 minutes. At that point I got a can of carb cleaner to clean up around the clips so I can take the lines out to check and as soon as I sprayed the area in question it died again. So my question is.. do you think that in the process of wiping the fuel lines off I inadvertenly filled the hole with gunk stopping the leak or do you think its just coincidence. I ask because removing the lines to check is a task requiring hours underneath the truck. The lines are in not easy to reach location. Does this sound like something that would cause my problem?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maybe just coincidence. it started again and i did the same thing but it is still running. Is a bad fuel pump something that can go out intermittenly like that?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
It does sound like its the fuel pump causing the issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
so how do i check if it works intermittently
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how difficult of a task is replacing the pump
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
The only way is to perform a fuel pressure test with a tool
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
Replacing the pump isn't difficult is you are mechanically inclined and have tools to perform the job,