Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Rough idling. Van drives fine. Showing open loop fault. Has

Customer Question

Rough idling. Van drives fine. Showing open loop fault. Has code 0300 0171 and 0174
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: It's just the idle. Almost dies after driving and coming to a stop
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** year, model, and engine size of van? Has anything been replaced? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a 1999 2350 super duty with a v10
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry e350
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing replaced yet
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Does it seem to have the power it should under hard acceleration? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Seems good with hard acceleration. It's a motor home and it accelerates like a champ
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
The common things to cause these codes are failing mass airflow sensor, sticking pcv valve, leaking pcv hose/elbow, or leaking intake gaskets. Unplug the maf sensor to see if it runs better. If not, replace the PCV with one from dealership to see if that helps. If not, spray starting fluid around pcv elbow and pcv hose, if idle changes replace elbow/hose. If nothing is found yet then spray starting fluid around intake gaskets to see if idle changes, replace intake gaskets. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions. Thanks again and have a good evening!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should the pcv valve rattle
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Not while engine is running but maybe a little if you remove it and shake it. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It popped right out when I touched it
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Sounds like the fitting may also needs to be replaced. If it is that loose it may be allowing air past it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what I was thinking
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
You could spray starting fluid around it to see if idle changes to verify problem but if it is that loose it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace regardless.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep. Thanks. I think I checked just about everything else already
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
No problem, let me know how it goes after replacing. Thanks!