Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

98 explorer parked car now wont go into gear replaced neutral

Customer Question

98 explorer parked car now wont go into gear replaced neutral saftyswitch
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: od lita
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: od lite was blinking
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you mean the Gear stick physically won't come out of Park? and you can't get it into Reverse or Drive? Or the stick will go into another position other than park, but the engine just revs like the transmission is in neutral no matter what gear you put it in? Let us know, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
gear shit moves but car does not
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ment to say shift
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, Is it 4wd? and have you tried selecting 4H or 4L as well? Also, back of the engine compartment, is the transmission dipstick tube. Has it got fluid in it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
found gray box behind 4x shift button that was clicking
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, how long was it sitting for? and why was it parked? Do you know if it was pulling fine when it was parked? Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just came home parked engine off to open gate started car and it wouldn't move lever moves freely no problem with car till now 168000. Miles
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
I follow you, It won't even pull in Manual L gear? hit that O/D button and try it then. still nothing? Fluid is full right? Check the fluid level back of the engine on passenger side, look for yellow dipstick back behind the coil pack.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fluid OK tried m l od nothing happens no leaks from engine or transmission underside dry
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, Make sure all your connectors are on the transmission and transfer case, from your symptoms, If the fluid level is fine, and it doesn't have any gear, then you've either stripped a planetary gear set, or lost fluid pressure inside the transmission. There is really no other component that could cause that. I would pull the transmission pan next and take a look and see if there is any metal inside the pan, or if you don't want to do that because it is a messy job, then I would recommend taking it to an Aamco or another local transmission shop with good reviews for a complete diagnosis. if you want to make sure it's inside the transmission, then get someone in the truck to put it in gear and rev it a little while you look at the driveshaft. if the driveshaft spins, then it's in the differential. but if it doesn't spin, then it's in the tranny or transfer case, and if it was in the transfer case or differential, you would likely get a loud clanging and banging going on. So I believe the problem to be internal in the transmission. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks will pull pan n see what's up
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, sounds good.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Make sure the linkage moves the transmission lever with the linkage inside the truck, get somebody to move the gear stick while you look at the tranny shift lever and make sure it moves
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, What did you find out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pulling pan now
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, good luck.