EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified

I havent figured out whats wrong with my Explorer. I charged

Customer Question

I havent figured out whats wrong with my Explorer. I charged the battery and cranked the engine. Cranks good , but suddenly it makes an awkward sound. I was told it could be the timing. I cant figure this out, because it used to start and run with no problem. Is there a part that can suddenly go out and cause timing trouble?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Can you explain the sound you hear in more detail? Also is this a v6 or v8 Explorer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a v6. It cranks regular for a bit and then it goes errhh.
Ok. If you can making a video of the noise and uploading it here would be helpful. Does the engine stop cranking when you hear the noise?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me give you more info. I took it to a transmission shop in Eagle Pass, by the Mexico border. It was cheaper there to get the transmission rebuilt. The engine ran smooth when I dropped it off. When I went to pick it up, it didnt start. I figure they did something to it to get more money out of me. No, it doesnt stop cranking.
You need to determine if you are missing fuel or spark. You can try spraying starting fluid into the engine and see if it attempts to start. Also if it ran when you brought it to the shop, shouldn't they be looking into what they may have potentially done to cause that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have fuel n spark. I sprayed it with starting fluid. It backfired. I think the mechanic at shop may have sabotaged my truck. did something to it so I had to pay more to fix it. I'm trying to find out if there's something simple that can be done to it that will cause it to not start.
The fuel pump connector can be unplugged easily. The front crank sensor can be disconnected. A fuse in the fuse box can be removed to cause it to not start as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** check on those possibilities and get back to you. Thanks again.
Ok you are welcome. Thanks.
Thanks for letting me assist you and please rate my service. Thank you.