Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

Where is the brake shift bypass switch on a 2001 ford taurus

Customer Question

where is the brake shift bypass switch on a 2001 ford taurus
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes i cant get it out of park unless the key is in the on position
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no thank you
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Just turn the key to the first position. which should unlock the steering wheel, then try to get it out of park, put it in neutral, with the transmission in neutral, put your foot on the brake and then attempt to start the engine. Let me know what happens there.
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.
These are the instructions to bypass the shift interlock. This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents the gearshift lever from being moved from P (Park) when the ignition is in the ON position unless brake pedal is depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of P (Park) with ignition in the ON position and the brake pedal depressed:1. Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to LOCK, then remove the key.2. Insert the key and turn it to OFF. Apply the brake pedal and shift to N (Neutral).3. Start the vehicle.The positions of the ignition switch are as follows, with ACC being the 1st position. This should get it out of being stuck in Park, let me know if you have any further questions. POSITIONS OF THE IGNITION 1. ACCESSORY, allows the electrical accessories such as the radio to operate while the engine is not running. 2. LOCK, locks the steering wheel, automatic transmission gearshift lever and allows key removal. 3. OFF, shuts off the engine without locking the steering wheel. 4. ON, all electrical circuits operational. Warning lights illuminated with engine off. Key position when driving. 5. START, cranks the engine. 3. Start the vehicle.After starting in neutral, you can shift from neutral to R or D with your foot on the brake. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.