Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

2006 f150..... Engine sounds like it's running on four cyl.

Customer Question

2006 f150..... Engine sounds like it's running on four cyl. Then it will clear up sound good ,put it in gear attempt to accelerate and it sputters very harshly like on 4 or 5 cyl. Sounding like muffled knocking. At times I can take off and hit hwy speeds with no symptoms.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. First, What engine do you have in your F150? is it 5.4 liter? and is the check engine light on now when driving? Let us know, Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5.4 no light...
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, have you checked to see if any codes were stored. Usually it will set the light off if any codes are stored but not always. I would think if it was running that bad, it would set a code for something, unless it was low fuel pressure, that may not set a code and give you those symptoms. Also, have you had the spark plugs changed recently? or done any service work recently on the engine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have not checked..will do ..let you know
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, sounds good. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Picked up a code... p0022. Cam position timing. Bank 2. Oh and it's a 2008 f150 not 2006
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, that code is for a VCT solenoid, and it could cause that noise and make it run bad. bank 2, drivers side of the engine. Do you plan on fixing this yourself? Do you do your own mechanic work?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
VCT stands for Variable Camshaft Timing.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is my son in law 's. I was a licensed mech. Many moons ago..lol. I used to do everything including rebuilds. have no problem fixing, it's trouble shooting☺ the noise is more like an engine dieseling after the are turned off. Use to happen years ago. Can the vct be intermittent
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, I follow you. Yes, it could be intermittent. It's a fairly common problem on 5.4 F150's. VCT's and the Cam phasers itself. which requires pulling the top cover, putting in a special tool wedge in where the timing chain comes up through the cylinder head. the wedge holds the chain and then you change out the cam phaser. It's a bit of a pain, but not impossible to do. If your getting the P0022 then the first thing I would try would be the VCT solenoid. They are fairly easy to replace and not that expensive.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Check this video link out. It shows you how to get the VCT's in and out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Mo-fHUVDg
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you have any further questions. But I would try the VCT solenoids first, and then hopefully it's not the phasers and that will fix it.