Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Yes was seeing if you could help me with some other

Customer Question

Yes was seeing if you could help me with some other electrical issue's I'm having.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some of the problems im having are, the interior lights don't come on when you unlock or open door, the heated seats stopped working, the radio you have to trun on and off ( doesn't do automaticly) like it used to, the buzzer when you put the key in the ignition stopped working, also not sure but maybe the heated mirrors also stopped working. All of this after I had a battery with a bad cell, I changed it and all these things stopped working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the fuse/s? let me take a look at the wiring diagrams and see if these all are powered by the same fuse or not.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Although it might not matter I had better ask, which engine is in this, the 4.6 or 5.4?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I see the climate control seat module is powered from the fuse #18 in the central junction box shown in this diagram here,It in turn is powered from the ignition switch shown in this next diagram,It is fed from fuse #102 in the same central junction box.I also see the radio fuse #7 there.It too in turn is fed from the ignition switch and that same #102 fuse, so check that fuse #102 for now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I see the climate control seat modules again fed from fuse #118. In the same fuse box.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
here is the heated mirror fuse, #8 #13 and #114, plus that relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,
I actually changed and put a whole new fuse block with all new fuses in it about 2 months ago, and the problems were not corrected. Was not sure if there was another relay or some type of battery saver in/under the dash. And by the way it has a 5.4 engine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I wish you would have mentioned that. I think I am going to opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that, I was a work when I contacted you guys and was in a hurry. So again im sorry for that.But thanks for the reply and info. I will still check all the fuses and relays that you mentioned just in case.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would appreciate you trying to help out. Do you have the messages that I sent the previous tech?
The website only allows us to help diagnose one issue per post even if all occurred at the same time. They want each multiple issue to be addressed on a new post through the subscription service. Which concern would you like me to help with? If all did occur at once then resolving one issue should fix them all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's start with the interior lights!
Do the interior lights work when manually turned on with the dimmer wheel?While running and doors are opened and closed does the instrument cluster show door ajar?Will no doors opened turn on the courtesy lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they work that way. But not when you unlock or open door with vehicle off. I normally flip them on when open door at night. Yes while running if you open a door it will let you know a door is ajar. No to the courtesy look lights.
Thanks, ***** ***** lamps are powered by the instrument cluster via a non serviceable interior lamp relay. The cluster gets a door ajar signal and turns on the lamps and the cluster gets a signal from the light switch and can turn on the courtesy lamps that way. So we need to remove the headlight switch and test the courtesy lamps with the door open. If they work then the headlight switch is bad. If they do not work then the instrument cluster is bad. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The courtesy lights can be turned on manually. Another reason thing with the interior lights is if you have vehicle running and turn it off the lights come on and after about a minute maybe less the go off.
Were you able to do the tests I mentioned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to try doing that today. Know that you mention the light switch. My automatic headlights stopped working also, but can turn them on manually. You think those have something to do with each other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also just got in my vehicle and with it running I can open all doors and liftgate and get no door ajar/open. So will try what you said later and get back with you this afternoon. Thanks
Since your now not getting a door ajar warning that changes things. This means the vehicle security module behind ans to the right of the glove box is bad or not sending signal to the instrument cluster. Do you have access to a scan tool to see if the VSM will respond as well is it showing door ajar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. I could maybe take it by a auto parts store. They have scan tool to read codes. Would that work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way the removing the switch didn't work.
Only a dealer tool could do that. A parts store can only check for engine codes. Your failure is cluster or VSM with the information I have so far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....what is the cost and the easier replacement between the two?
The replacement labor is the same for both. The cluster R/R and part cost about 600$. The VSM R/R and part cost about 450$
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have to have them programed or are they ready to go and just plug them in?
Both require programming with a diagnostic tool during the replacement.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. Because the rating at the top of your screen was not selected. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris