Adam Legler
Adam Legler,
Experience:  Service Advisor at Antero Automotive

I recently purchased a 2016 Georgetown XL motorhome, with the

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2016 Georgetown XL motorhome, with the ford V10 engine (5 speed transmission). During our second trip I experienced " loss of power" for brief periods of time while going up hills. Speed was approximately 55 - 60 miles an hour when it occurred. RPM's would drop, I would let up on the accelerator and the rpm would correct. Each incident would result in 5 to 6 continuous drops in rpm and then return to "normal" for an extended period of time. In an trip of just over 200 miles these incident occurred 4 times; sometimes 45 minutes to one hour apart. I was traveling in southern Missouri where there are no extensive grades, top speed was usually 65 mph. Total miles on my coach is under 1,500 miles.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Brand new
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: The motor coach has otherwise run good
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The coach (truck) battery doesn't keep a charge; plus I detected a "clicking" sound that seemed to come from under the driver side dash when the loss of power episodes occurred
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a Master and Advanced Level Certified Automotive Repair Technician with over 12 years experience and I've personally worked on over 25,000 vehicles. I see you have a question about your Ford RV and I think I can help you. Although I don't advertise it, I have a lot of RV experience with all classes. RV's are my favorite vehicles to repair, I actually had a Forest River too (the maker of your Georgetown)Before we begin, I have a couple questions I'd like to ask you, if you don't know the answer, no worries, we may be able to figure it out together.What Chassis does your RV sit on, it should be a Ford variant of a 450?From your description, you were NOT in cruise control correct?You wouldn't happen to have recorded a cell phone video of it?Have you checked your basics? Air filter, etc...Has this concern been happening all 1500 miles since you've owned the coach?If not, when did it begin?Also, I want to address your battery concerns as well. Is it the coach or house batteries not keeping a charge?We'll start here for now, I look forward to assisting you with your concern as soon as I hear back.Again, please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. It is my goal to determine the cause and remedy for your concern. I look forward to a speedy repair! Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for responding. To answer your questions as best as I can:
1. I don't have the paperwork with me, all I know is that it is a V10, 26,000 lb coach
2. I was not in cruise control. I use the cruise when it is a "flat" road, but turn it off when entering any hills
3. No cell phone recording ūüėü
4. I haven't checked the air filter, etc, just drove the new unit off the lot two months ago when I bought it (new).
5. Had not experienced problem before. This was my second "long" trip. First trip, about 200 miles, no problem, similar toad.
6. This occurred this past Sunday returning home from Cape Girardeau Mo to Sprinfield, Mo on US 60 hwy
7. It is the coach battery. Even after a long trip, the coach will not start unless I use the battery boast option that accesses the house batteries (4). If/when we stop at a road side park for 15 minutes, the coach battery works OK, but overnight it is "toast". I have checked battery water level and as far as I can tell everything else is turned off
Thanks for the great reply! Well, first thing is first. I want to make sure that air filter is OK, it is unlikely that it is our culprit, but even on the most advanced of diagnosis we always want to make sure to check the simple stuff first.I looked it up, seems to be you're on a F53 chassis, that's why you have to 24-26K GVWR.One last clarification question, you stated the RPMs "dropped". Tell me if this is close: You're cruising straight along at 65mph, you look down at the RPM gauge and it says _____. Did you experience a loss of speed, or was it the engine noise that prompted your attention?Thanks again!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did experience a loss of speed, immediately lifted my foot off of excellarator pedal and then gently applied pressue on the pedal. The motor would respond very briefly and then slow again; this occurred 5 - 6 times (coach slowing down all the time) then everything turn back to "normal". I glanced at the rpm gauge during the "episode" and noticed the dropping and increasing of the rpm's, didn't watch gauge that much since I kept my eyes "on the road" and checking mirrors for trailing traffic,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engine noise also slowed and increased
Very interesting indeed! Well, I have 2 theories on how to approach this. The first theory is not very viable because I'm sure you're not in the possession of a Ford IDS interface. I would want to check all the control modules for any signs of pending codes (those do not make the CEL illuminate) and fuel trims....Just a quick detour, is your CEL on and/or your overdrive lamp blinking?The second theory I've found actually involves an update to the vehicles PCM. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin, literature produced by the manufacturer having to do with common issues that are not "severe" or "dangerous" which would necessitate a recall) that has to do with the vehicle losing power and having erratic shift behavior. This can only be performed by someone who not only has a Ford IDS, but one that has the latest updates on it, release 93.04 to be exact, otherwise it will scan the PCM and reply with "up to date". In the automotive (and RV) diagnostic world, whenever we encounter a TSB, for any manufacturer, we are required/ highly suggested to begin with performing the steps outlined. Unfortunately in your case, this does require you to take the coach to a Ford dealer. It may be done for free if they can tie it into the power-train warranty, however in my neck of the woods Colorado, most dealers will charge around $150 for the service. Please understand, the LAST thing I would recommend to anybody is a dealership, however in this case it is a necessary step we must take.Please let me know what you decide to do, also please let me know if you have any additional questions as I am more than happy to answer them! Thanks again and Happy Travels, you have a beautiful coach!My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are ready. Thank you again!
Also don't forget to check your air filter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will work with the RV dealership to help me ensure that I am not out any additional money when I take it to a ford dealership.
Thank you for your assistance
Sounds great, thanks again and you're welcome!