Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

My name is ***** ***** and my wife 06 explorer kept running

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my wife 06 explorer kept running with no key in the ignition
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife went to start the truck at first it didnt start but when it finally started she said it sounded funny so she turned it off but the vehicle kept running after bout 10 or 15 min if finally shut off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like perhaps there is a short circuit or the ignition switch, the electrical part is sticking. Can you tell me which engine is in this so I can see what kind of ignition switch is in this and lookup the correct wiring diagram/s.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4.0 sohc
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light?Also, is this 2wd or 4wd?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No i dont have a voltmeter. This is a 2wd
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, the ignition switch is about $50 from autozone so unless you want to just replace it and would rather test to find out if that is what is wrong, I suggest you invest in a $5 multi-meter or at least a $4 12 volt test light, but just in case I will give you the instructions anyhow how to replace the ignition switch and the link to autozone to purchase one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thanks i appreciate that
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
So what did you decide?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im unsure rite now im going to check those things u explain to me..cause im at work rite now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didnt see where i could rate you but on a scale from 1 to 10...i give u a 10. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
try now.