Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2012 Ford Focus - an error message about Hill Decent Control

Customer Question

2012 Ford Focus - an error message about Hill Decent Control being off or something like that, then the car dies while driving down the road. did this 4 times yesterday. Now it won't start at all.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 2012 Ford Focus
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Been fine other than this!
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No...thanks!
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question. When the error message appeared, was the transmission still shifting thru all the gears or was it stuck in low gear? The hill descent uses the engine and transmission to brake the vehicle on steep downhill grades when engaged to prevent burning out the brakes or gaining too much speed and losing control. So any noticable symptoms related to these that you noticed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, we've actually told yesterday by our local dealer that it's a known issue with this vehicle after a front impact. A sensor in the front end that controls the Transmission module will make the module fail. Have to replace the transmission module and have it reprogrammed. Thanks for your help though.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
HI, Ok, glad you got it figured out. I did not know it was in a front impact accident