Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford expedition: my 1997 ford expedition eddie bauer addition

Customer Question

my 1997 ford expedition eddie bauer addition has a brake problem . a brake line rusted thru.. we replaced the line , bled the brakes several times, replaced the master cylinder and booster. no brakes , pedal goes to the floor. went back and bench bled master cylinder, worked find, checked check valve, working fine,re- bled each cylinder. brakes will pump up some but within seconds pedal will go to the floor. no leaks anywhere. what could be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Does the vehicle have ABS?Have you attempted driving it to see if it will even stop?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does have abs and yes i did attempt to drive it and it would stop but only after the brake pedal was about an inch from the floor
Thanks, ***** ***** is a good chance the ABS has air in, that you can not get out. Can you do a 20mph panic stop 3 times then bleed the brakes again to see if the pedal improves. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we disengaged the abs by removng the fuse so it would convert to regular braking .. still no change . also drove down the road and hit what little brake i had hard . bled the brakes again. no change
The brake fluid from the master cylinder still goes through all the valves in the ABS HCU. We need to get the ABS to activate and purge the air past it so it can be bleed out. The other option is a Ford diagnostic tool to perform an ABS bleed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will try panic stop again and get back with you tomorrow
Super
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i did a panic stop 5 times. no change in brake pedal. is there an adjustment rod on the booster that needs to be adjusted ?
There should be an adjustment rod sticking out of the nose of the booster. You adjust it and mount the MC a couple of times till the MC is flush against the booster without pushing in the rod, then remove the MC one more time and adjust the rod one 1/2 turn shorter so its not pushing the master cylinder at rest.If that is fine then next we need to remove the brake lines from the MC and cap the outputs to see if you get a good pedal then. If so then reconnect and do the same thing at the ABS HCU outputs.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating at the top of your screen was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris