Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2015 Ford Taurus SEL with 3.5L engine and FWD. I have

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Ford Taurus SEL with 3.5L engine and FWD. I have asked Ford.com and Remco.com this question. The owner's manual says to flat tow this vehicle you must start the engine for 5 minutes; put it through drive and reverse gears and finally place in neutral. It says nothing about what to do next. Do I leave the engine running (can't believe that is right). Do I put the ignition in ACC mode. What do I do with the "key" (keyless entry). I hope you have the answer......Linda
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 months ago.
You do not need to leave the engine running. The purpose of running the engine and shifting through the gears is to circulate the transmission fluid to all of the bearings so they don't burn up while towing When towing long distances, you need to repeat this procedure every 4 to 6 hours. Leave shifter in Neutral and turn key off, but not back to Lock position. The battery will gradually drain with key in this position so you can either disconnect the battery, add a charging circuit from the coach to the Taurus to keep the battery charged, or starting and running the Taurus occasionally may do the trick.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please clarify when you say "leave shifter in neutral and turn key off but not back in lock position" how do I know if ignition is locked when I have no real key, just the remote fob. Do I just turn off the engine and NOT leave the fob in the vehicle?
Leaving the shifter in Neutral and turning the engine off should leave everything in the proper position. You should be able to remove the fob from the vehicle. Just make sure the steering wheel is not locked.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much indeed!
You are very welcome. Please let me know if I can assist further.Dave