Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

My 2002 thunderbird has been towed to a Ford dealer three

Customer Question

My 2002 thunderbird has been towed to a Ford dealer three times in the last three months .Two ignition coils were bad and engine shutdown. All 8 coils were replaced. One of the two fuel pump have been replaced twice. The car is being diagnosed again as I write about this problem. The engine runs fine for 10 miles and then is turned off and will not start again. HELP!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

Does the car have to cool completely before it will restart?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cooling is not a problem. The thermostat has been replaced months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

What I mean is after the car stalls, how do you get it restarted? Do you have to wait until it cools off or do you just tow it?

Also, does it shut off like you turned the key off or does it chug first and then stall?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it has to be towed
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

I think from the sounds of it they need to look at the main super multiple junction. This is the fuse box inside the car. This also has the fuel pump relay in it. If it's getting hot it could be losing contact and shutting the car down. It's also possible that it's corroded. Fords had a tough time with some of these and they get moisture in them and it can disable several components, the main one being the fuel pump. This could also be why you are on the second fuel pump. Then, possibly when it cools off it's making contact and coming back to life. I would ask them to make sure the box looks good. They actually should be able to tell this with the scan tool, but if they are only going off the check engine light and stored codes they may be missing it.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just talked with the ford service at Saint George Ford. Fuel pump has been replaced again and engine runs. They will keep the car two days and road test (drive it). This is the third fuel pump replaced in three months
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

I believe there is an underlying issue here. It's pretty clear to me to be honest. I could understand if they were using aftermarket pumps that might just be poor quality, but this should be a ford pump. I think they really need to determine where the power to the pump is being lost.

Also, I believe it might have been the original issue as well. The engine would run like crap missing on 2 cylinders, but it wouldn't shut down.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help here.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Do you need further assistance?

Thanks so much!