Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

How to reinstall the factory installed 2nd battery in a 1977

Customer Question

How to reinstall the factory installed 2nd battery in a 1977 ford f250 camper special
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Glad to hear that. How old is the battery?
Customer: It's new I just need to have the wiring schematic for that truck so I can reinstall the alternate battery
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The truck is a 1977 f250 camper special with a auto trans and 351m engine
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Will the battery just be used for powering items in the camper or will it be used for other purposes, like starting a generator? I ask because there are two ways to connect the battery. CLICK HERE for the typical way the older Fords connected the batteries. CLICK HERE for the other way. On the second picture, that is how the newer F250s connect it. On the 197's models, they were more of the first pic where the cables went right to the starter. Now if you are just needing it to have extra power (longer use) to power up some lights for the camper or a trailer and still have some start available, use the second pic. It will use up one battery at a time. You then will want a power switch installed like a cutoff switch so when the batteries drop below 10 volts, the switch engages and cuts the power to the camper so you still have battery life left to start the vehicle. There is also a way to cheat this which is what I do when I go tent camping now. Get a battery charger with a invertoer that you can clamp to the battery. Hook the battery charger up to the invertor and connect it under the hood. Then you will have a constant battery charge going while using the battery to power what you need. It is a old outdoorsman trick that will make sure you always have a full battery and still power your camper all night long without the use of a generator. In case that is what you are tying to do.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.Did you still need assistance with this?