Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

F150: 1998 Ford F150. Vehicle was ditched and, after removing

Customer Question

1998 Ford F150. Vehicle was ditched and, after removing from the ditch, immediately had no power steering. Fluid level is normal and belt is in good condition. No leaks are evident anywhere under the truck at rest or during operation. There is no obvious damage to any components that are reasonably visible from under the hood or underneath the truck. I've considered replacing the power steering pump, but would like to know how to better diagnose the problem, rather then just replacing one part after another, increasing in cost each time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. More than likely the gears in the steering gear have been damaged from the impact. To check and or rule out the pump a pressure and flow test must be done. Do you need those steps? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I need those steps.
Great, see the link below.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anything else that could potentially be wrong besides the steering box? The ditch was not very deep (appr. 18 inches) and the speed of the impact was only 10-15 mph. I'm really just trying to figure out the best way to diagnose the problem with somewhat limited tools. I don't want to start replacing one part after another to find out which one is bad.
As long as it will steer full left to right with the wheels off the ground, nothing is binding or bent, which only leaves the pump or steering gear. The last being the most likely part failed.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating at the top of your screen was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris