Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

2010 ford focus. Red "car lock" icon flashing. Lower left side

Customer Question

2010 ford focus. Red "car lock" icon flashing. Lower left side driver dashboard. It's the securilock and I just need some assistance on how to disable so my car will start
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes, I'm trying to save towing and mechanic fees for something which is most likely a 1 minute fix :/
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The original key I had was ruined yesterday so I had a new one cut today.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. So the key that got ruined yesterday, what happened to it? Do you still have the key by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just the bottom part which was used to get a new key cut. The black part was torn from it via lawn mower :/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try to send a pic of the ruined key if needed.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
You don't have a spare key to this vehicle? That has been programmed by chance? If not, try this, Hold that black part as close as you can to the top of where the key goes in, what I want is the transceiver to read that black part of the key that was mangled. Then see if it will start with the key you got cut. If it can read that mangled key, if you hold it against the steering column just above where your key goes in, it might start that way. Otherwise, You can't simply bypass this advanced type Ford PATS system. The keys are coded, and unless the PCM see's the signal from the Anti Theft Module that the correct coded key is being used to start the vehicle, It will kill fuel injector pulse and that is why it won't start. These systems are not easily bypassed and that is why they hardly ever get stolen.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happens there.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Any luck getting it to start that way?