Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

02 ford escape engine starts when in the ignition position

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine starts when key is in the ignition position and keeps starter engaged after Engine running
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. The problem is likely one of two things, the starter relay in the underhood fuse box is stuck, or the ignition switch itself on the steering column has failed. I believe one of the fan relays in the underhood fuse box is identical to the start relay, the relay is labelled ST relay. Do you have the owners manual? If so, you can open to page 93 and see these relay's listed. If not, Follow this link and you can see where it is on page 193. Swap that ST relay out with another one if it's identical and let me know if that fixes it. Thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Any luck with that? thanks