Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2002 Ford Exc. has always had problems with the rear door

Customer Question

My 2002 Ford Exc. has always had problems with the rear door ajar sensor. but lately the light stays on even longer and it has drained my battery. Is there a fuse that I can remove. the door sensor is not a need for me as much as my battery is.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The door that is generally showing ajar is the rear doors. It has the glass window hatch and the double swinging barn doors. Normally the computer system will shut lights off in a few minutes but now it seems it take a good 20-30 minutes to turn off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for you question,There is a fuse but it controls other things besides the door ajar circuit so if you pull it you will loose function of the instrument cluster as well as the security system. A more common fix would be to take some penetrating oil and spray a very liberal amount of fluid in to the rear door latch to free up the sticking door ajar switch. After you soak it real well try open and closing the door a few dozen time to free the switch up. In most cases that will solve the problem with out having to replace the sticking switch. I would also spray all the doors to be sure you have the right one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the switches in the latch itself or in the black sensor buttons that line up?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The switch on all the door mounts to the latch, that latch is the part that grabs the striker and that where you want to add the spray.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a try. Thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.Thank you again.