Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

Ford Focus: 2002 ford focus 4 door SE SOHC engine The pulley

Customer Question

2002 ford focus
4 door SE
SOHC engine
The pulley holding tension on the Serpentine belt in moving up and down a small amount
It also makes a loud wining noise
It moves because the crank shaft pulley seems to be wobbling a small amount
causing a small knocking noise.
The pulley was removed a while back to replace the oil pump but it was tightened
correctly when it was replaced, however I do not know if the pulley was bad because
it made that noise before it was removed.
Other than that it runs good, no other problems, while the pulley was screeching I sprayed WD40 on it and it got quiet, so I know it needs replaced, the crank pulley is another issue. I need some ideas of possibilities for the wobble if the bolt is tight.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
HI there,Sometimes the rubber between the pulley outside and the pulley where the bolt holds it can separate or come unglued. This will cause the pulley to wobble and can eventually lead to a problem where they come completely apart. Normally the crank pulley will not make a screeching sound though.It sounds like you need a new tensioner pulley to start with, then see what type of noise remains. Plus if you remove the belt and spin the pulleys you may hear it or feel it when you spin the pulley.I think I would start there, then you can also inspect the belt ring on the crank pulley at the same time.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will have the tenshioner unit replaced first cause i know that's bad, will have the Crack pulley checked at the same time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Crank I ment
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Yes, that's the way I would do it. This way you can make sure there isn't any issue with that pulley coming apart. If there is you can replace it at the same time.Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to help. Also, please remember to rate my answer.Thanks so much!