Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford f-350: Went yesterday and purchased from ford a new/ remained

Customer Question

Went yesterday and purchased from ford a new/ remained FICM for my F-350 Super Duty 2006. Brought it home and put it in my truck wouldn't start so put my old one back in and it runs again. Does the new FICM have to be flawed or programmed to the truck? Thanks in advance.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Flashed^
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Unless you happened to get a defect, yes 100% they need to be flashed, Without having this done? the PCM can not send and receive required data and will lockup various systems, Injectors primarily, Book time that most shops follow for the reflash is.6 hoursbelow is more detailProgramming and RelearningThe FICM contains a flash memory which can be reprogrammed Included in the memory is the calibration or strategy which drives the injectorsTo program the FICM a WDS tool downloads the new program information to the PCM which serves as a gateway to the FICM. The PCM transfers the program to the FICM. NOTE:Replacement FICMs do not contain software They must be programmed prior to useIf there is no pre-cycle with the new module it could be an indication that the module is not programmed. Loss of power or CAN2 communication can also cause this condition Check for DTCs to comfirm power or communication loss
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does the FICM need to be in the truck for this procedure
yes, that is what is meant byt what I wrote:To program the FICM a WDS tool downloads the new program information to the PCM which serves as a gateway to the FICM. The PCM transfers the program to the FICM.