Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

I have a 96 460 that idles ok but out it under any load and

Customer Question

I have a 96 460 that idles ok but out it under any load and it spits and sputters. Even at idle it does it once in awhile. egr? Catalytic converter?
JA: I think I may have missed something. Could you explain?
Customer: "put" in under load not "out"
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: rebulit 2 yrs ago
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: its not tranny its either EGR or maybe catalytic converter
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: thats all thanks
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
greetings,there are a few things that can cause this including the catalytic converter. The EGR usually will cause a poor idle if stuck open also but could also do this. I would start with checking the fuel pressure and fuel filter. Low fuel pressure can be one cause. let me know if you can check trouble codes and if the check engine light is on.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
we should se 45-60 psi
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
A bad MAP sensor or leaking hose can also do this.let me know how many miles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No check engine light. 200kmiles purrs like a kitten other than when it chokes up and it recovers if you stop and feather throttle through it. It clears up. But any load within a minute it starts gagging & sputtering.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
I have seen bad MAP sensor, coolant temp sensors not set codes and cause issues like this. Lets first make sure fuel pressure is good and you can check the fuel pressure regulator too. Pull the vacuum line and see if the pressure goes up, any fuel smell or leakage from the vacuum port or line means it is bad.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
let me know if the exhaust smells. I like to check the easy access things first. If fuel, map and coolant temp(if no gauge we will need a scanner) . To check the catalytic converter we can check to see if the element is loose, bang it to see if you hear a rattle. If no noise it still could be bad, we would have to loosen the y pipe of the manifolds and see if the power returns. Usually you can disconnect the y pipe off the exhaust manifolds and let it hang and give oit a test drive.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
after you test these things let me know what you find. let me know also is the truck 4x4 and if it is a F350.